Breast Reconstruction Philadelphia
Breast reconstruction surgery is an emotional journey that requires a sensitive, respectful and experienced surgeon. In addition to Dr. Scott D. Chapin’s surgical expertise, he is a warm and compassionate doctor who never loses sight of his patient’s best interest. If you have an interest in exploring your breast reconstruction options, Dr. Chapin would be pleased to meet with you for a consultation to review your possibilities.
There are a number of different situations that lead women to seek breast reconstruction surgery. One of the most common reasons is breast cancer, which can require the removal of one or both breasts through mastectomy. Also, those who suffer from a congenital condition or the absence of a breast known as Poland Syndrome may consider breast reconstruction surgery.
Breast Reconstruction Can:
- Restore the look and feel of your breasts
- Increase your body image and self confidence
Dr. Chapin will actively listen to your concerns and desired results for breast reconstruction during your one-on-one consultation. He will explain your available options in detail and together you will come to a decision about your breast reconstruction treatment plan.
Our Customized Approach
Using advanced breast reconstruction techniques, Dr. Chapin can rebuild the breast and nipple, restoring your figure and your confidence. With a myriad of options to choose from, Dr. Chapin will work closely with you to determine what is best for your specific situation, lifestyle and goals. The ultimate goal of breast reconstruction is to create symmetrical breasts, and that can be achieved through one of the following options:
- Breast implants: Dr. Chapin can reconstruct the breast mound using saline, silicone or textured gel breast implants. If the chest tissue is initially too tight to accommodate an implant, Dr. Chapin may need to use a tissue expander to gradually make room for the implant. He will first place the tissue expander, which is a modified version of a saline implant with a valve, beneath the skin and chest muscle. Over a period of one to three months, Dr. Chapin will inject saline into the value to fill the implant and expand the breast mound. Finally, when the tissue expander reaches the desired size, he will remove it and place it with a saline or cohesive gel shaped implant.
- Tissue flat: Dr. Chapin can reconstruct the breast mound using a flap of skin and tissue from another area of your body, such as the back, abdomen or buttocks. The first option involves keeping some of the flap’s blood vessels attached to the tissue, tunneling the flat beneath the skin to the skin chest area and then creating the new breast mound.
- Combination of breast implants with tissue flat: in certain cases, Dr. Chapin may recommend combining a skin flap with the placement of implants to achieve the desired breast mound size and shape.
- Nipple reconstruction: Dr. Chapin offers the option to have your nipples reconstructed via skin grafts and tattooing (to add color).
Day of Your Procedure
Your procedure will be performed under general anesthesia at a Bucks County or Montgomery County AAAA Certified Facility. On the day of your procedure, Dr. Chapin and his highly trained team will meet with you to review all details and answer any questions before surgery. Surgery time for breast reconstruction varies case by case. You will receive exceptional and comprehensive care following your procedure to ensure your comfort.
Breast Reconstruction Recovery
There are several determining factors in breast reconstruction that make each case unique, depending on which approach is used, the recovery time will vary.
You will have swelling, bruising and soreness after breast reconstruction, all of which will gradually subside. Dr. Chapin will prescribe pain medication to alleviate any discomfort. During your recovery, you should relax and rest your body as much as possible, eat nutritious meals and hydrate properly. Short walks are encouraged to promote good circulation. However, avoid bending, lifting or straining your body. Dr. Chapin will provide complete preoperative and postoperative care instructions. He will monitor and advise when patients can gradually resume their daily activities including exercise.
Contact Our Office
Dr. Chapin serves patients from Philadelphia, Bucks and Montgomery counties. To learn more about breast reconstruction surgery or to schedule a consultation, contact our office today.