Restoring Contours and Confidence for the Philadelphia Area
Breast reconstruction surgery is an emotional journey that requires a sensitive, respectful and experienced surgeon. In addition to Dr. Scott D. Chapin’s surgical expertise, he is a warm and compassionate doctor who never loses sight of his patient’s best interest. If you have an interest in exploring your breast reconstruction options, Dr. Chapin would be pleased to meet with you for a consultation to review your possibilities.
There are a number of different situations that lead women to seek breast reconstruction surgery. One of the most common reasons is breast cancer, which can require the removal of one or both breasts through mastectomy. Also, those who suffer from a congenital condition or the absence of a breast known as Poland Syndrome may consider breast reconstruction surgery.
Breast reconstruction can:
- Restore the look and feel of your breasts
- Increase your body image and self confidence
Dr. Chapin will actively listen to your concerns and desired results for breast reconstruction during your one-on-one consultation. He will explain your available options in detail, and together you will come to a decision about your breast reconstruction treatment plan.
Meet Dr. Scott Chapin
Dr. Scott D. Chapin blends medical science, artistry, and humanity in every procedure he performs. As a board-certified plastic surgeon, he specializes in aesthetic surgery, with a particular focus on breast surgery. His national reputation and commitment to excellence make him a top choice for Doylestown and beyond.
Our Customized Approach
Using advanced breast reconstruction techniques, Dr. Chapin can rebuild the breast and nipple, restoring your figure and your confidence. With myriad options to choose from, Dr. Chapin will work closely with you to determine what is best for your specific situation, lifestyle and goals. The ultimate goal of breast reconstruction is to create symmetrical breasts, and that can be achieved through one of the following options:
- Breast implants: Dr. Chapin can reconstruct the breast mound using saline, silicone, or textured gel breast implants. If the chest tissue is initially too tight to accommodate an implant, Dr. Chapin may need to use a tissue expander to gradually make room for the implant. He will first place the tissue expander, which is a modified version of a saline implant with a valve, beneath the skin and chest muscle. Over a period of one to three months, Dr. Chapin will inject saline into the value to fill the implant and expand the breast mound. Finally, when the tissue expander reaches the desired size, he will remove it and replace it with a saline or cohesive gel shaped implant.
- Tissue flap: Dr. Chapin can reconstruct the breast mound using a flap of skin and tissue from another area of your body, such as the back, abdomen, or buttocks. The first option involves keeping some of the flap’s blood vessels attached to the tissue, tunneling the flap beneath the skin to the chest area, and then creating the new breast mound.
- Combination of breast implants with tissue flap: In certain cases, Dr. Chapin may recommend combining a skin flap with the placement of implants to achieve the desired breast mound size and shape.
- Nipple reconstruction: Dr. Chapin offers the option to have your nipples reconstructed via skin grafts and tattooing (to add color).
Day of Your Procedure
Your procedure will be performed under general anesthesia at a Bucks County or Montgomery County AAAA Certified Facility. On the day of your procedure, Dr. Chapin and his highly trained team will meet with you to review all details and answer any questions before surgery. Surgery time for breast reconstruction varies case by case. You will receive exceptional and comprehensive care following your procedure to ensure your comfort.
Meet Dr. Noah Prince
Dr. Noah Prince applies his high-level expertise and compassionate bedside manner to give his patients the full benefit of his surgical skill. Throughout his career, the Harvard and Tufts University educated plastic surgeon has completed more than 4,000 procedures. His state-of-the-art techniques and exceptional outcomes help his patients love the way they look and love the way they feel.
Breast Reconstruction Recovery
There are several determining factors in breast reconstruction that make each case unique. Depending on which approach is used, the recovery time will vary.
You will have swelling, bruising, and soreness after breast reconstruction, all of which will gradually subside. Dr. Chapin will prescribe pain medication to alleviate any discomfort. During your recovery, you should relax and rest your body as much as possible, eat nutritious meals, and hydrate properly. Short walks are encouraged to promote good circulation. However, avoid bending, lifting, or straining your body.
Dr. Chapin will provide complete preoperative and postoperative care instructions. He will monitor and advise when patients can gradually resume their daily activities, including exercise.