With virtually any plastic surgery procedure, it’s always a good idea for patients to do their research beforehand so they can make informed decisions and know what they’re getting into. Surgical procedures have a longer healing phase compared to minimally invasive treatments such as injectables, so planning ahead is an important part of recovery. Labiaplasty from our Philadelphia area-based Chapin Aesthetics team is no exception. Here are five things that patients having this vaginal rejuvenation treatment can do to heal faster and have a smoother recovery with less discomfort:
1. One of the factors you need to consider when you’re planning plastic surgery is whether you’ll be able to take enough time off to recover. Get ready in advance by scheduling your surgery for a time when you’ll be able to several days off work and not exercise or engage in any strenuous activities for at least four weeks.
2. The genital area is very sensitive and will be swollen and sore following the procedure. Take the prescribed medications to reduce pain and lower the risk of infection. We may also recommend over-the-counter anti-inflammatories and ointments to relieve discomfort.
3. Wear loose clothing and underwear. Avoid any tight-fitting items that might cause chafing, friction, or pressure on the incisions.
4. Keep the area clean and dry by avoiding long showers and baths. A buildup of moisture can make infections more likely and dissolve sutures.
5. Apply a cold compress over the area during the first week of recovery if you have approval to do so to get relief for certain side effects of the procedure. This helps to reduce some of the swelling and discomfort. Use “20 minutes on, 20 minutes off” increments.
For more advice on what to expect before and after a labiaplasty, contact our team at Chapin Aesthetics. Set up a consultation by calling us at (267) 880-0810, or fill out a contact form to connect with us online.